Compassionate And Experienced Representation In Family Law Matters
Anything involving family can be emotional and painful, whether you are contemplating divorce, a change in child custody, termination of parental rights or adoption. You need the guidance that only an experienced family law attorney can provide.
We at Willhelm Law Firm are well-versed in the complications arising from these cases and the Texas state laws that govern family matters. From our Abilene office, we will handle your case with care and guide you through the process with integrity and compassion.
Divorce And Related Matters
There are many aspects of the divorce process that must be settled in order for a divorce to be finalized. However, you do not have to face these issues alone. Our firm is here to help you deal with:
- Property division: Since Texas is a community property state, any property and/or assets that were obtained since the date of the marriage are considered marital property. As such, they will be subject to division in divorce. We can help you understand how the courts handle property division matters and how you may be able to retain the assets to which you are entitled.
- Spousal maintenance: Also sometimes referred to as spousal support or alimony, spousal maintenance is the amount of money paid by one spouse to the other in order to maintain a certain lifestyle. When determining the amount of maintenance, the courts will look at various factors, including the length of the marriage, the age of the spouses, the income-earning capacity of each spouse and more.
- Children’s issues: Child custody and child support are often hotly contested issues. It is important that we keep the best interests of the children in mind as we work through these aspects of divorce. Our firm takes the time to explain the Texas child support guidelines to you and to help you understand what you may be obligated to pay or entitled to receive. We also provide information on joint, sole, legal and physical custody issues so you can pursue the appropriate custodial time with your child.
Other Family Law Matters
In addition to handling divorces and all of the issues that arise within the divorce process, our firm confidently handles a range of other family court cases for individuals, unmarried parents and grandparents. We can provide you with guidance on cases involving:
- Child custody and child support
- Termination of parental rights
- Grandparent adoptions
- General adoptions
- Modification and enforcement of family court orders